Riboflavin is an important micro-nutrient for an individual's overall health. Learn all about this important nutrients and its health benefits.
What is riboflavin - Also known as Riboflavin, vitamin B2 is an essential nutrient that is responsible for a variety of body functions. Primarily, this water soluble micro-nutrient is responsible for processing carbohydrates, helping the body produce energy. In addition, riboflavin also helps process amino acids and fats, leading to their optimal absorption. In its tertiary role, riboflavin has been noted for its antioxidant properties, fighting off harmful free radicals that damage cells and accelerate the aging process.
It is important to note that because of its water soluble nature, this essential micro-nutrient cannot be stored in the body. Care must be taken, therefore, that your diet contains enough riboflavin.
The many health benefits of Riboflavin
As mentioned above, riboflavin or vitamin B2 is an essential nutrient that plays a key role in maintaining your overall health. In particular, the vitamin helps you in the following important ways.
- Energy - Riboflavin helps your body produce energy for its day to day function by breaking down macro nutrients such as carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. Absence of this vitamin in your diet can slow down the metabolic process, making you feel lethargic.
- Helps fight diseases - Riboflavin has been noted for its role in fighting off several conditions including migraines, cataracts, skin problems, and eczema.
- Production of red blood cells - Red blood cells are important for your overall health well being as they carry oxygen to all parts of your body, keeping your vital organs and cells adequately oxygenated. Riboflavin is essential for generation of these vital red blood cells on a consistent basis.
- Antioxidant - Riboflavin is an important antioxidants that fights off harmful free radicals responsible for cellular damage. Free radicals have a destructive effect on your overall well being as they can not only accelerate the process of aging but also cause diseases such as cancer and cardiovascular complications. Riboflavin helps keep such free radicals in check.
- Immune System - Riboflavin has also been used for its effects in strengthening your natural defense system against infections.