A common complaint about weight loss is that individuals don't lose weight or lose little weight and fail to keep it off. Many articles discuss why people fail but really don't take a look at what people are doing who succeed. So, what we'll look at here is what to do to be successful with your weight loss and weight maintenance. We'll touch base on some of the things you can do but this list is not complete so keep on reading articles so that you can add to what this article has to say. Remember, you can always write you own articles on how you were successful as well. Share your success!
Tips for Successful Weight Loss
- Meal Planning – It has been observed that individuals who plan their meals have a greater rate of success. All you need to do is write down what you will eat for the next week. What foods do you write down. Well, there are a number of guides of healthy foods to eat on the internet. They'll ask for your age and lifestyle and ask you a little bit about your goals. You can copy daily meals from these planners. You can also ask a dietitian or your doctor. This helps you to keep a food diary which is what you need to do. If you change a meal, make sure to write that in you diary. Then you can look back and see exactly what you have done. Then, you'll know why you were or were not successful. Weigh yourself everyday (morning at least) and record that on your food diary.
- Flexible Meals – Often times is it difficult to stick to your meal plans but that's okay. This shouldn't affect your success with weight loss. In fact, from time to time you can sneak in things you like in moderation (comfort foods) without penalty. This should help keep you from bingeing which is very important. So, be flexible about some of your meals.
- Don't be Anxious – There are all kinds of claims about what to eat and when. Not to worry. There is really no such thing. If you feel you want something sweet before bedtime, go ahead just don't over do it. If you don't eat breakfast at precisely 7 am, that's okay. Thinking you have to do this by the book will generate anxiety which is not good for weight loss or anything else for that matter. Be comfortable and relaxed. You need to concentrate on eating healthy foods in the right proportions.
- Exercise – It is possible on a very strict diet to lose weight without exercising, however this doesn't work well in the long run. Keep in mind that regular exercise is very important to a healthy lifestyle and will help you lose weight. Strength training is good to build muscle mass and be sure to take in more protein to support this. The increase in muscle mass will increase your metabolic rate and help to burn fat. Try to exercise at least 3 times a week. Best if you skip a day in between.
- Water – Researchers have demonstrated that people who drink a lot of water have an increase in weight loss. They suggest about two liters a day. This keeps your body hydrated but also allows you to flush waste products out of your system.
- No Starvation – You need to eat enough to get the macronutrients you need. Starving yourself prevents this. In fact, you body goes into starvation mode and you end up of weight loss plateau and there you sit. Avoid this at all costs. If your hungry, eat something but be reasonable about it.
- Eat In -- You can prepare healthy foods at home and know exactly what is in them. This can be very difficult in a restaurant. Think about all the unhealthy cooking oils and sauces that they use including sugary marinades. You want to stay away from this. With home cooking, you can control your portions as well. If you're in a restaurant and they serve a large portion, don't be shy to ask for a doggie bag.
- Weight Maintenance is a Life Time Goal – Individuals who are successful find and develop long term solutions to their weight control. They adhere to their program on a regular basis.