Coconut oil has a rare combination of fatty acids that have a positive impact on health. In fact, it is one of the few foods on the planet that can be put in the category of "Super Foods". The benefits of this 'Super food' include skin care, fat loss, hair care, enhancing immune system etc. Here is a short list of the most prominent uses of coconut oil that are backed by scientific studies.
Currently, obesity is one of the major health problems in the world. In this regard, the MCT's(Medium Chain Triglycerides) present in coconut oil prove their substance by dramatically increasing the rate at which fat is burned in the body. A recent research done by the University of Health,Chicago reported an 8% increase in energy expenditure per day by consuming 25-30 grams of coconut oil.
Coconut oil is rich in 12-carbon lauric acid, a rare organic acid that helps you battle dangerous bacteria. In fact, 50% of the total fat in coconut oil comprises of lauric acid, the highest for any other substance on earth. When this lauric acid is digested enzymatically, it forms Monolaurin, a monoglycide which has the capacity to fight bacteria, fungi and viruses thereby preventing infections.
Coconut oil is a natural sunscreen and also a remedy for sunburns. It has also been used widely to enhance the appearance of the skin and hair. Coconut oil has natural ingredients that improve the lipid and moisture content of the skin.
Coconut oil improves the body's ability to absorb vital minerals including Calcium and Magnesium. These play an important role in the strengthening and development of bones. Hence, coconut oil is a boon to women who are subjected to osteoporosis in their late fifties.
Boosts Brain Functions
Alzheimer's disease has become one of the most common health complication for elderly individuals. The main cause for this is the reduction in the ability to utilize glucose for energy in major parts of the brain. Studies found out that the ketones present in coconut oil repair the ill-functioning cells in the brain.
Improves Dental Health
Coconut oil is also used in another famous process called Oil-Pulling. It is a kind of mouthwash that kills the harmful bacteria in the mouth, thereby reducing bad breath and enhances dental health.
Other practical uses of coconut oil include:
- As a Makeup Remover: A cotton ball dipped in coconut oil serves as a wonderful tool to wipe off makeup without creating a mess.
- As a Body Scrub: Coconut oil when used in conjunction with Sugarcane juice can be used as a scrub on dry skin before having a shower.
- As a Shaving Lotion: Before shaving, apply a thin layer of coconut oil over the area to be shaved and continue as usual. It reduces the friction and the lauric acid acts as an antiseptic in case a cut happens.
- As an Insect Repellent: Coconut oil when mixed with Neem oil, Peppermint etc. and applied on the skin acts as a powerful insect repellent.
- As a Deodorant: Applying a little bit of coconut oil under your armpits controls bad odours. You can also use baking soda or any other antibacterial powder along with it to prevent feeling sticky beneath your arms.